Sunday, May 2, 2010

films and food

I went to a movie earlier today which got me to thinking about a few of the movies that have something culinary as a main element in them and then I realized how many there are once you start to look so...I'm just going to mention some of my favorites and maybe a tv show or two as I think of them.
One of my all time favorites is "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman", I am in awe watching the dexterity of the chef and the precision with which items are chopped and sliced. The story's good too but just the visuals alone puts this one on top for me.

Some of my other favorites are and these are just the ones that have popped into my head at the moment:

"Chocolate" starring Johnny Depp.
"Ratatouille"
"Julie & Julia" starring Meryl Streep
"A Matter of Loaf and Death" Wallace & Gromit
"Sweeny Todd" starring Johnny Depp
"Macbeth" from "Shakespeare Retold" BBC-You'll never look at three star restaurants quite the same way.
Oh, and I almost forgot "The God of Cookery" starring Stephen Chow. "Shaolin Soccer" also has an excellent scene involving salty dough.

Beverage related:
"Bottle Shock" starring Alan Rickman-just by raising an eyebrow, this man speaks volumes.
"Sideways" starring Paul Giamatti

Tv shows:
"Pushing Daisies" The importance of pie and honey
"Chef": BBC-Very probably my all time favorite TV show ever and for all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also love, love, love "Good Eats" with Alton Brown and enjoy "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain.

Anyhow, that's a few of the food related shows that I have watched and really enjoy or that I feel have influenced me a bit in relation to everything. Oddly enough, there aren't that many baking related movies that I have come across-hmmmmm. Maybe that is something we should remedy at the bakery... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment